Whitney Houston has recently left us (R.I.P) But we will remember Forever her songs and her voice; songs such as (”how will i know, ” I wanna dance with somebody” and specially a Song like “ I will always love you”. This song sung by Whitney Houston (R.I.P) has powerful lyrics and is so emotional plus the voice of Whitney make the lyric and the music be very magical and unforgettable.
If you are a singer songwriter you wish too to have a such hit song in your career. Why not ?? but how to achieve such success you want to ask me ?? :).
Let’s do a home work now !! hmm ….Let’s start by this question : What is a song ?
When you switch on your fm radio or listen to an online radio or watch TV, you can hear a song but what are you really listen to? You listen to “ Words”.
Those Words can express a feeling, an emotion or a specific message. Whatever the mood you are when you listen to music. You will repeat the words (the song) and if you like the music you will sing it and even dance on it.
As a singer songwriter or even singer you want people know your song, sing your song and like the music you sing over. But did you ask yourself how can you make sure that can happen each time you release a track? I will ask you one question ? how do you write a song?
Some of you will tell me, “I am writing my song (s) when I am inspired by People or by Life in general or other” .
But do you know that there are songs which are proposed to Singer Songwriters or write by Songwriter after having consulted their record’ label marketing department or the artists’ manager. The songs are chosen according to a marketing and business strategy nowadays. The songs can be written according to what is happening within the society or in relation deep with the target market (the fans) of the Artist, all of this to make sure that the song will have an impact enough to make the fans buy it.
“Holiday” by Madonna
When you sing a song like Madonna’s song “ Holiday’’ you sing about something everybody knows and want most of the time and the word ” Holiday” make us feel good and enjoy yourself even in your head (when you are not in holiday and can not afford to go in holiday:( ). Everybody knows the words of this song and the music even the new generation. This song is Timeless.
The song was released in 1983 when USA society was in a change culturally and politically and a lot of home was lone parental (so the Mum needs Holiday isn’t it!!).
“Born This Way” by Lady Gaga
or recently a song like Lady Gaga’s song (Born this way) which is talking about the freedom to be who you want to be targeting the gay, lesbians, transsexual communities.
Such song will remain in the memory of the society, and Lady Gaga Fans because it touch a sensitive topic (homosexuality) and has been released in a period where homosexual communities have started to be recognised but must still have to deal with prejudice and misunderstanding in some countries. This song is Timeless.
” Beat it” by Michael Jackson.
“I wanted to write a song, the type of song that I would buy if I were to buy a rock song… That is how I approached it and I wanted the children to really enjoy it—the school children as well as the college students. Michael Jackson.
Beat It” was released on February 14, 1983. The video was Jackson’s first treatment of black youth and the streets. Both “Beat It” and “Thriller” are notable for their “mass choreography” of synchronized dancers, a Jackson Trademark http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beat_It
Beat it mean (go away) not as some people think (Hurt it).. This song is also Timeless but know more for the video then really the words.
More Recently Price Tags by Jesse J.
This song is also a song which is related to the economical society, When you listen to it, it’s like it is telling you, it not about money but also about life, The value of life worth more than the money..in an economical financial society we are living now money is crucial but artist will always make the fans love ” her” or “him” so the song must have a part to make you come back to “her” or “his” (We just want to make the world dance .) This song was written on the concept (Money does not make you happy) who do not know about this and the UK and world capitalism society we are living now.
There are other examples but it will be too long to write about all of them..:)
**Important Notice **:
Write a song must have a goal , you are an artist and you have an image and personality that you portray. Your lyrics and genre of music must follow your image concept..If you have an image of hip hop people will expect you sing about love, money and even be rebellious of the society and/or have your own words about people ect..or you can create a new concept and then be creative and make your lyrics follow it ect…
Some songs are written for some celebration period (Birthday, Christmas, Mum or Father Day, Halloween ect..). You must decide what your lyrics will support ? do you want to be a kind of preacher like Bob Marley (Song :One Love) or a Spiritual Messenger as Bjork or a Party messenger as Snoop Doggy Dog or other ?.
Before you write your song(s) : ( Ask yourself those following questions)
- Why do you write the song?
- For who do you write and going to sing this song (Target market, fans)?
- What is the topic of your song ? (life?, Society?, people ?, politic ? yourself ,your own personal life? etc..)
- What do you want to portray via your song (love, rebellion, preach, violence ect..)?
- How people can see the relation between your “ Image” as Artist and your Lyrics ?
- Have you written your marketing and promotions ideas (why are you going to do this and that ??)
- Think about the title of your Song (it must stay in the head of people and easy to remember, think business)
Once the Song is written : (Ask yourself those questions)
- On what kind of music you are going to sing it?
- What genre of music is on the chart now and people buy more not listen only?
- Are you going to create a new sound and vibes? what will it be ?
- Have you got a strategy marketing ?
- What and who are your Target market (people, organisation ect)?
Time to record now and once the song is recorded: (Ask yourself those questions)
- When your record your song make sure your voice express the message. emotion and feeling you want people hear and understand via the lyrics.
- Where is your target market (existing or future fans) or people who love the genre of music you do and your lyric’s topic ?
- What tools and platform are the more appropriate to make people knows my music and listen to my lyrics..?
- Make a music video (think about the meaning of your lyrics and how you can express it via your music video)
- Make a Deep Research about where and how to promote your music and why make such selection?
© 2012 March by Michelle Galas
If you do not know how to Groov’With Your Music. Email me email@example.com.