When you are sitting down in your recording studio or in a recording studio, and have a melody and a song in your head, you wonder what’s that’s will be as sounds and genre of music (Rock, Pop, Dance..). If you know what genre of music you like that’s will be easy but if you like to play with sounds you will have to follow your inspiration if you are a musician too and follow your feelings or make the musician or music producer understand what you want as sounds.
However did you think about what people buy as music genre not listen but buy? Did you think to give your music a concept, a mark? What do you want your music express ? and what do you want your fans think and feel when they listen to your music and lyrics ? What is your Mark musically?
As LMFAO in an article of Metro on Thursday 21 July 2011 they describe they music concept as follow ‘’ Our Parties are based on the fundamentals – The Music and the Girls-.
When you listen to their music it’s a music which make you dance and want to have a party.
Or the singer songwriter BjorK who has achieved popular acknowledgement and popularity within many musical genres, such as rock, jazz, electronic dance music, classical and folk. Her voice has been acclaimed for its distinctive qualities.
Those artists have found their Musical concept and mark. When you hear the name of Bjork or LMFAO you know what to expect musically before you switch on your radio, mp3 or ipod you know what you are going to listen as songs and music.
To find your Music Style:
- Decide what kind of music you want to do or you really like ?
- Check what music genre people buy not only listen to (make your market research)
- If you want to be unique (play with the sounds) but have a base musical (Pop, Rock , Rnb etc…) and play around it so you can have a base that people will recognise (think about what genre of music people buy)
- Make your Artist Profile (image, name ect..) and lyrics meaning be in relation with your music.
- Create a new commercial Sound but promote it with a huge Artist Profile (image, looks, ect..) such as Black Eyes Peas.
Your musical genre must be a mark and your identity that will make people and your fans identify you. Your music style is your unique selling points. Like Black Eyes Peas they have their own style of music (futurist and experimental) with a base of Dance or R&B.
Be Creative and do not hesitate to create new sounds but do not forget to make sure that in your creativity there is something that people will always recognize as a musical base.
It is your turn to compose, arrange and produce good creative and commercial music. Groov’ NOW
©2011 July Written by Michelle Galas
Do you want to Be our Next ‘’Artist of The Month’’
“Sign Up” and “Like Us” on Facebook, We will Select (1) one of you.